Thursday, June 19, 2008

I have a job! (sort of)

Well I went to do my demo at this adult school today. and it went well. The woman said I did a really great job, was clear, articulate and precise in the lesson plan. So she wanted to offer me the job. This is great! It's a really good job with good pay and teaching adults, hard to come by here. BUT and this is a big BUT, they can only offer me about 4 hours a week. They said they have one class I can teach then another one. But the problem is that in Taiwan, in order to get a work permit, a teacher must have a minimum of 14 hours per week of teaching. And it'd be illegal for me to work without at least 14 hours. So since this school can't offer me more hours, I have to get a work permit through another school. Then I could work part time with this school. It's annoying but there's nothing I can do about it. The positive side of this is that I have an interview with a school tomorrow. It's a kid's school so the hours would be during the day and it would be teaching 8 to 10 year olds. They would give me at least 20 hours and a work permit....SoOOOO If I can get that job, and get the permit, I would be able to work part time at the adult school after working with the kids, and get some good pay and a great experience. It's just funny how at the interview today, they were urging me to get another job in order to be able to hire me.
Anyway I'm going to see how it goes. I hope these two jobs work out but if not, I'm sure I'll find something else...

All the best,
Brian

1 comment:

Veronica said...

OMG Brian i'm so happy for you! Hey its not a full time job but its a step in the right direction! If this is how good your doing within the first couple of weeks that your there imagine how great your year is going to go! Good for you I commend you for having the courage to pick up and move to another country! I wish you luck on your interview tomorrow and throughout this exciting Journey! Talk to you soon!

Veronica