Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chaing Mai to Pai



After waiting around the bus station at Chaing Mai for an hour I got on a bus and headed off to Pai. There were a few other foreigners on the bus, some Canadians, an Aussie, and a Spanish couple who were celebrating their honeymoon by traveling around Thailand. I've been warned about the bus from Chiang Mai to Pai.....that it was to quote the Lonely Planet Guide Book "a 4 hour gut-wretching trip that is not for the faint of heart. It started out alright, but than about 2 hours in....it started to get a bit rough. Up through the mountains, some hairpin turns, it was a rough trip, but thankfully everyone in the bus kept it together. Arriving in Pai I was struck by the sheer number of guesthouses and hostels around town. I spoke to a guy last night about it and apparently there are over 600 guesthouses in and around the town. The town itself is pretty small and easy to find your way around. There were tons or fellow travelers all over the place as well. It reminded me a bit of Kenting in Taiwan....but more chill and laid back. I've been here just about 3 days and I absolutely love it. It's got a very cool and laid back vibe and everyone here is extremely friendly as well. Coffee houses and bars are all over the place and everyone has a relaxed attitude. I can definitely see myself spending a solid 2 months here just chillin and taking it easy.

No comments: