Sunday, July 6, 2008

teaching tomorrow...yikes!

So tomorrow is my first day of work....here is how my jobs actually break down...

I will be teaching kids Monday to Friday from 450 - 620
I will also be teaching an adult conversation class at Time Language for 1.5 hours a WEEK.....

then the coup-de-grace (the irony is I had to google the correct spelling of coup-de-grace)- I will be teaching a TOEFL class for 3 hours a week (also at Time)

TOEFL is the test used to allow foreign students admission into Gad schools here in the US. So these people are probably pretty smart, and also probably know grammar rules, and vocab, better than I do. The New York City public school system did not really drill grammar rules into my brain. I'm really nervous about all my classes but especially the TOEFL class. These students have a lot riding on the test and here I am some 24 year old English major telling them what's right or wrong. The reason I'm teaching this class is apparently because the adult school believes my English degree makes me qualified to teach it. The fools. As anyone who knows me can attest to I am a lousy speller, and even lousier at grammar. But the pay is 750 Taiwan dollars an hour which is like 25 US or something...so I really am going to have to work hard in that class....

I could've come to Taiwan and taken some BS English teaching job, just reading off a sheet of paper to kids 8 hours a day, but I've never been one to back away from a challenge. So I decided to take the job that would be most challenging (teaching grad students who are older, wiser and probably more focused than I am seems challenging enough)...I knew I'd face challenges, and the bigger the challenge the bigger the reward. It's going to be really really tough though...I know that for sure.

So I have to observe a bunch of conversation and TOEFL classes before I can teach...Oh also I'm teaching at a summer camp in Hsinchu this weekend...it should be fun, I only teach 3 hours on Saturday and 3 on Sunday and the rest of the time I'm free to chill, plus they put us up in a hotel...I think I might try windsurfing while I'm there!

I'm really nervous about all my classes though...this is def. the biggest challenge I'll face so far, but I just gotta suck it up and do it...Also I want to say congrats to my cousin Beth and her husband Seb!!! My family had a big party in Battery Park for her wedding and obviously I couldn't be there. I feel terrible about that, I wish I could've made it...... I'm really close to all my cousins, aunts and uncles and is sucks not to be able to be there for it. I really miss my family at times like this...but knowing my family... I'm sure there was enough booze at the party that they probably didn't even realize I wasn't there...

Oh so here are the pictures of my apartment, it's kind of annoying because I have to do all the tedious shit that comes with moving into an apartment (buying curtains, sheets, blankets, pots and pans); which in and of itself is pretty awful, only now I have to do it all not speaking Chinese....keep in mind this apartment is only about 300 US a month! 2 blocks from the MRT and in a chill area....can't even imagine how much it'd go for in NY...

off to bed now...tomorrow I hope I do ok, and the kids don't walk all over me (the adults too)...tomorrow will be interesting.
Enjoy the apartment pics....

living room


kitchen area:


MY ROOM (and yes I know it's a bit girly with the purple and all, the French girl who I rented it from decided to paint the whole room purple one day on a whim....but it's a HUGE room....I think my first paycheck is going towards a bucket of paint and some new curtains)


VIEW ONTO MY SEMI-BALCONY:


BATHROOM


here goes nothing,
Brian

No comments: