Friday, January 30, 2009

Well I'm headed back to Taipei tomorrow after spending a week in Cambodia. I came here by myself not quite knowing what to expect, but this place is a real eye opener. Traveling around a country where the average person makes 25 US dollars a month, (most of the time less than that), and has been so wrought with war really puts life in perspective. I think it's impossible to travel to a place like this and not be affected, not be moved and feel a need to improve some of these conditions.
It's deplorable how those with so much can sit by and watch those with so little live in such harsh conditions. This trip has reaffirmed what career path I need to take and solidified my reasons for wanting to work in the human rights/ development field. It's just a matter of figuring out how to go about it....the most effective way seems to be working at the community level, as donations to the governent seems to get siphered away...
A little goes along way to helping so many people here...it's hard not to realize how privileged we all are when you see how most of the world really lives. I'm very thankful and appreciative for sure.
It's been an eyeopening....yet still fun trip with some beautiful scenery and tasty dollar beers. I'll write more when I get back to Taipei....but a great experience for sure!
-b

No comments: